Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is it really that time again?

So I went out Saturday to do a little early Christmas shopping and was shocked when I saw Santa in the mall just sitting in his chair waiting for the kids to come and get their picture taken with him. So either no one is aware that Santa has left the North Pole early to come take pictures or the economy is so bad overall that pictures with Santa just aren't in the budget for many families this year.

After doing some unsuccesful shopping I realized that this year I don't feel what we American's call the Christmas Spirit. I don't really want to put up decorations or send Christmas cards (even though I've already started addressing them....I have to start early or they don't get done at all) , or do any baking or anything. It almost makes me sick to my stomach when I think of all the gifts that will be given. Don't get me wrong, gifts are great...but honestly, how much "stuff" do we really need? I don't have room for half then things I already have so why do I need more?

Earlier today I was on the Samaritan's Purse website. If you want to be in the real Christmas spirit go here (www.samaritanspurse.org). If you haven't had a chance, go look at their gift catalog. You won't find any cool high-tech toys or towers of cookies. You'll find items to buy for others....such as warm clothes, blankets, food, emergency shelters, immunizations, teaching supplies so that children can learn to read and write, comfort packs for those with HIV,etc. When I see gifts like these and see how inexpensive it really is to help someone in need I feel extremely blessed and very spoiled. I have been given so much and I have complained so much about how unfair things are. Yes, life is unfair. It is unfair that I get to sleep in a nice warm bed every night while more people than I can count don't have a roof over their head. It is unfair that I get to eat every day while tons of small children can't remember the last meal they ate. It is unfair that I have the luxury of running water while in some countries you'd have to walk 6 miles just to get some dirty water that hopefully will supply your family for the day. It is unfair that I have a loving and supporting family while countless children all over the world have been orphaned due to war and natural disasters. I could go on and on, but I won't. You get the point....more importantly, I get the point.

In church we have been going over tithing and this past Sunday God really spoke to me. I finally realized that He is only intersted in what I do with what I have now....not what I will do if I get more money. If I'm not trustworthy with the small things I will never be trustworthy with the big things. I know this may seem extremely simple to you but for me it has been a wonderful eye-opener. In the past when I looked online at the Samaritan Purse website I have always planned on giving...when I have more money and can do more. Today, even though I would have liked to have given more, I donated an inexpensive $6 blanket. Not a huge gift by any stretch of the imagination but the point is I gave...I didn't wait. I can't tell you how good I feel about doing that. It does my soul good to know that somone who normally sleeps in the cold will now have a warm blanket to comfort them:)

No comments: