Friday, November 16, 2012

34 weeks, 3 days

2nd day of bedrest and I am feeling sooo stir crazy! This wasn't exactly something I would have chosen, but I will be thankful for it:-)

Everything was going well and I was feeling great. Monday and Tuesday night I noticed that I was having some major swelling in my feet, ankles and legs. Didn't think too much of it until Wednesday afternoon when I started seeing spots after lunch. So combine that with the extreme swelling and there being some protein in my urine at my last doctors appointment I did start to worry a little as I knew that pre-eclampisa could be setting in. I went to have my blood pressure checked and it was a little elevated so my doctors office suggested that I go to labor and delivery to be checked out.

So I arrived at the hospital thinking I may have gone for no reason. I was given a room, hooked up to the monitors and was a little surprised when they told me I was having a contraction. Kind of figured it was just practice contractions so was happy to hear that my body is indeed getting ready to give birth! Elam's heart rate was a little high but did calm down after a little while. My blood pressure was checked every 20 minutes or so and it was perfect (of course), urine and blood came back normal so I'm thinking "great, they think I'm just paranoid! I am sure they will be sending me home shortly".  Yeah, not so much. Was shocked when they said I was having contractions every 7-9 minutes and that some of them looked pretty strong and were lasting for a full minute or longer and did I need anything for the pain. I wasn't feeling anything but Elam moving around.

I was given 2 bags of  IV fluid to hydrate me, even though there was no evidence of me being dehydrated,  and also 2 shots of Terbutaline to help stop contractions. The first dose helped them stop immediately...but then after 20 minutes they were back. After dose number 2 they finally settled down enough to send me home! I was so happy about that because I knew that I could only have 1 more shot and after that I would be admitted overnight and given a drug from hell to try to help. So now I am on bed rest until at least Tuesday, when I go back for my regular doctor appointment. Praying that everything is good and that she will let me go back to work, even if it's just for half days.

Yesterday Holly came over with groceries, lunch from Zaxby's, movies and a bag full of goodies- coloring books, crayons, devotional book and super comfy throw. It was so nice to spend time with her and helped the day not drag by so much! I feel super blessed because of all our friends who have offered to help with meals or anything else:-)

In all of this I have asked God to show me how to relax and how to slow down, because I don't slow down...I usually have so much on my plate and don't seem to be able to say no to anything. Now I am saying no to everything, lol. I am learning to be still and to listen. Today's devotional was entitled "Stop and Smell the Roses" and one section really encouraged me-

"To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1. We should let each thing in our lives have its season, and realize we can enjoy that season without rushing into the next one. Our pace of living affects the quality of our lives. When we eat too fast , we don't properly digest our food; when we rush through life, we don't properly digest it either. God hs given life to us as a gift, and what a pitifufl shame to do nothing but rush through each day and never as they say, "stop and smell the roses". 
So I will enjoy this season of rest :-)

1 comment:

Sara G said...

Thinking about you and hope all is well. One day at a time.
God bless, Sara