Sunday, July 3, 2011

what's that you say?

I get to sleep in tomorrow?! oh yeah! After a super long week, this 3 day weekend is much appreciated:-) It was VBS week at church and I spent it with eleven 4 year olds. Whew! Fun, but exhausting! I slept in yesterday just a little and then did a bunch of nothing (other than a couple errands). Today church was really good! We received quite the history lesson which I LOVE and made me so proud and blessed to be a Christian who is priviledged enough to live in the United States of America. This past week during VBS we had missionaries come talk to us and one night a precious woman from Uganda spoke about her experience of being smuggled out of Uganda after her husband was arrested and imprisioned for 3 months. His crime?He was a Christian. After being released, he ran. If he was caught again he would be put to death. And since he ran, his wife had to run because they would come after her. For 7 days she was inside a large bag on a train, fearing she would be discovered and also praying that her husband was still alive and would meet her in Egypt. They were reunited and came to America. I wish you could have seen her enthusiasm! The joy in her eyes as she said "You don't know how blessed you are...to be able to go to church and to shout 'Praise the Lord' whenever you want". I felt so spoiled and so weak in my faith. What have I lost for my faith? What trials have I really gone through because I'm a Christian? So many of her family members have been killed because of their faith and also through the horrible wars they have had. I wasn't aware of this, but next week South Sudan will be declaring their independence and Christianity will not be persecuted as it is now.

The rest of my weekend has gone well! Church was good, lunch at Mema's was yummy (duh!), I took a nap (yay!), had coffee with Tiffany and then went to see Something Borrowed with her and Starla. We ran into some girls from church which was a nice surprise. The not so nice surprise was how the movie ended. Absolute horrible ending! Oh well. Now I am at home with Mike watching Despicable Me:-)

1 comment:

Sara G said...

Hope you have a blessed day tomorrow! We are blessed to be able to worship the Lord whenever and wherever. Oh how my heart aches especially lately. My eyes have been opened and light shed. However, not only to what is happening/had happened in other countries but in our own country, our own faith. Sending big hugs!