Tonight after I ran I was soooo looking forward to going home. I was stinky and sweaty and couldn't wait for a shower and then some of Mike's delicious spaghetti (somehow it is so much better when he cooks it:-)) I was jamming out (yes, jamming) to some cool music, I was thinking about how I might color my hair and how glad I was that tomorrow was Friday. Just petty stuff really.
Less than a mile from the house I see a woman sitting on the side of the road and she is distraught. A man is walking purposefully away from her and her whole body is shaking with sobs. As I drive by her I sense God telling me to turn around and go back to her.
And do what? my flesh asked.
So I keep driving...and then turn around at the light and head back to the person God has called me to. I pull on to a side road, park my car , pray for guidance, and approach her. She is on the phone with a person who I am guessing is her pastor. Let me tell you ,this woman was is in agony. From what I gathered, her husband had just walked away from her for good...sounded like he had been an abuser - physically, mentally and verbally and that he suffered with some mental illnesses. She didn't seem to care that I was listening to her conversation. I knelt down beside her and she grabbed my hand and clung to it. I just rubbed her back and prayed silently as she continued to talk and cry on the phone. Cars were driving by and I'm sure we were getting stares, but I didn't care.
Finally she composed herself a little bit and I offered to drive her anywhere she needed. She asked if I could take her to a friends house (who happened to live right down the road from us) When she got in the car she started sobbing again...gut wrenching sobs that only come from someone who has a broken heart. She told me a little bit of her life story and it broke my heart. We prayed together and it was beautiful.
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted" - Matthew 5:4
As she was getting out of the car at her friends house,I asked for her name and number and told her I would call her. She gave me her number, said her name was Robin and that she needed prayer. I told her I would be praying. She thanked me for the prayers and the ride and then left.
Tears were streaming down my face as I drove away. I realized how Jesus felt when he saw the crowds and had compassion on them. I think he had compassion because he saw their pain...he saw how life had beat them up and he felt their pain. I praise God that I felt that compassion for someone else. My meeting Robin tonight was NOT a coincidence. I feel so blessed that I was used to encourage a sister who needed a hug, lots of prayers and love.
Then I thought about all the other Robin's in this world. Sometimes they aren't on the side of the road visibly crying. Sometimes they are in the line at the grocery store, or at a childs soccer game, or sometimes they are working women who are trying to hold it all together. Sometimes they are the ones who cut you off in traffic or the person who is rude to you for no reason. The big question is "Do I see them?" Do I see the hurt in others or am I so tied up in my own life that I don't notice anyone else? Father forgive me for being so selfish! Show me how I can minister to these precious women. I encourage you to look for the Robin's in your life...a beautiful woman who may need encouraging...a woman who needs to feel the love of our Savior and experience forgiveness and redemption.
No comments:
Post a Comment