Monday, August 8, 2011

well that was fun...

I am sitting here wondering how it is only Monday. I am freshly showered and it feels sooo good to just sit and put my feet up. I hadn't planned on being home tonight. My plans included dinner and Bible study with some ladies from church.

I was getting ready to walk out the door and I hear Mike say "You've got to be kidding me".

Keep walking Sarah, keep walking! my brain screams.

Then, like a good wife, I stop, turn around and see what he was talking about...He was in the kitchen with his hand over the air vent where air was NOT coming out, even though the AC was on. Crap. I knew he would soon be heading under the house to see if something came loose . I knew I should ask if he needed my help. Don't do it! He's a man. He can do itby himself was my reasoning.

"Do you need me to stay and help?" I heard myself ask. It kind of shocked me....kind of like the shock Ralphie gets in A Christmas Story when he tells his mother he wants a Red Rider BB gun. How could I say that?! He told me to stay for a few minutes. Double Crap. I knew what that meant....a few minutes NEVER means a few minutes....

I'm standing on the porch while he goes under the house, praying that he is able to duct tape whatever is loose back to whatever it goes to. There is silence for a little while...and then some mumbling...and then some louder mumbling...and then some yelling (because everyone knows that yelling at the hoses makes them easier to work with). I'm not stupid...I know this is a 2 person job....groan to self and text Katie that I will be a few minutes late. I make my way under the house and find that I am facing an obstacle course of dirt, cobwebs , hoses and wires that becomes so low I have get on my hands and knees to get to where Mike is. No wonder he was yelling. So I get there, help him tape the dislodged hose back to the vent (I am woman,hear me roar) and start backing out, hoping I don't get too many cobwebs stuck in my hair. Freedom is in sight! I'm over my first hurdle ( a "hanging" set of hoses) when Mike says "I need you to come back". What?! Now it's time for me to say "You've got to be kidding me".Guess there were some other things that needed taping. So I'm taping....taping...taping...and I run out of tape. Mike sighs, drops his head and says there is more tape inside.

Fast forward through the obstacle course when we are back in the house looking for more tape. I am hot, sweaty and not in the best of moods. Part of me is yearning to quickly clean up and go to Bible study when I hear God say "THIS is what you are called to. You are married to this man, not to your Bible study group. Your job is to help him with whatever he needs. Would you really rather be with your friends?" The truth is I would rather be crawling under a house, dirty and uncomfortable, helping my husband. So back we went under the house. This time I was in a much better mood and kept thinking about what my mom said - "Life is messy, it's dirty, it's uncomfortable, but you do it"...and if you're smart you'll make the most of it and look for the blessings.

No comments: